Have you ever had one of those ‘gut feelings’ that you just had to listen to? How is it that our stomachs can hold so much wisdom and intuition? Scientists think they may have found the answer! They have found that our entire digestive system, from our esophagus to our posterior, is lined with over 100 million neurons, just like those found in our brains and central nervous systems. There are so many neurons in our digestive tract that scientists have nicknamed the gut the ‘second brain’ (though it is technically known as the Enteric Nervous System). In fact, almost 95% of our bodies Serotonin receptors (which are largely responsible for our feelings of happiness), can be found in our guts. Who knew?!
This new information is changing the way many people approach maintaining good mental health. Habits like getting enough sleep, regular exercise, and meditation are incredibly important for a sound mind, but it is becoming apparent that what we put in our stomachs is just as crucial. Luckily, we know of a certain super food that has a reputation for easing the symptoms of mental illness. Here are 3 reasons why adding hemp to your diet is a great way to support your mental health.
- Essential Fatty Acids Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) are absolutely crucial to brain health & development. In fact, the brain and the Myelin Sheath are composed of 75% fat. The Myelin Sheath is the protective layer of fat that serves to guard the neurons from toxins, while also absorbing life sustaining nutrients. Research has shown that EFA’s help with attention, depression, schizophrenia, and also neurological disorders like parkinson’s and alzheimer’s.Hemp offers the richest and most balanced natural source of EFA’s, and has the perfect ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 for maintaining optimal mental, hormone and heart health. Read more about EFA’s here.
- Protein Protein isn’t just for your muscles, it is also essential for brain development and neurotransmitter function. Research has shown that insufficient protein during pregnancy and early childhood is linked to many behavioral disorders, and it can affect how our brain responds to the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is responsible for our feelings of motivation and drive.Hemp seeds are composed of around 25% Protein, and contain significant amounts of all 9 Essential Amino Acids. That is something very few plants can boast!
- Vitamin B B Vitamins in your diet are critical for your body to produce feelings of well being. They regulate the effects of stress in your body, they assist proper neurotransmitter function, and they boost metabolism and energy. They also assist the body in utilizing stored fuel reserves to nourish the brain and body.Hemp seeds are rich in almost all major B vitamins, including B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6.
These are just a few of the great benefits of including hemp in your daily diet. Other benefits that hemp supports are improved heart, lung, eye, gut, and joint health! There are some delicious recipes on our website that you can try, or you can try one of these great producs…
- Hemp oil capsules – These are an easy way to make sure you get your daily requirements of EFAs!
- Gorp Bars – These tasty snacks taste much better than the average Protein bar, and they contain 11g of Protein!
- Toasted Hemp Seeds – Feeling snacky? These delicious Sea Salt Hemp Seeds are addicting!
- Protein Powder – This nutrient packed Protein Powder is great in smoothies!
Set yourself up for success with hemp, today!